Do You Have Water Damage From a Rain Storm?
Storm Damage to a Canton home.
STORM DAMAGE RESTORATION
At any moment a storm can strike and possibly flooding can occur that can cause water damage to your home or business in the Canton, Ohio area. According to the NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) , “In 2019 (as of July 9), there have been 6 weather and climate disaster events with losses exceeding $1 billion each across the United States. These events included 2 flooding events and 4 severe storm events.” If you experience water damage from a recent storm you may worry about the cost of hiring a water damage restoration company. If you delay the cleanup and restoration process it may eventually cause you more damage decreasing the chance of saving your personal belongings and will end up costing you more money for the restoration.
WHAT TO DO BEFORE HELP ARRIVES
After hiring a water damage restoration company, here are steps you can take to make it easier for them to get started.
- Shut off the source of the water.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building if the access panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting
- Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
- Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors
- Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors
FINDING A WATER DAMAGE RESTORATION COMPANY IN YOUR AREA
Calling SERVPRO of Northwest Stark County makes hiring a local water damage restoration company easy.
We are dedicated to being faster to any size disaster to residential homes and commercial properties. Call the experts at 330-497-4600.
The Advantage of Hiring a Restoration Company for a Flooded Basement
SERVPRO equipment drying out a basement that was flooded.
When a water disaster happens in your home it makes a huge mess to the structure of your home and all its belongings. There are different types of water that can create this damage. Clean water is from a water supply line or dirty water from ground water or sewage. Dirty water can bring added risk of bacterial contaminants that can be a health risk to your family if not properly cleaned up. It is also important to clean up the water quickly because the longer it sits, the more water damage it will cause. Although, you may be able to clean up your own water disaster the following are reasons it is beneficial to hire a local restoration company.
- Equipment– Professional restoration companies use moisture meters that will detect all the areas that have been affected by the water. They use truck mounted extractors that will remove water. Air movers and dehumidifiers that will dry out the structure quickly.
- Experience– Restoration companies have been in business for many years and clean up and dry out buildings daily.
- Training/Certification – Many restoration technicians are IICRC certified and trained in water damage restoration.
- Detailed Paperwork – Technicians will provide a detailed estimate that clearly lists all services to be performed. They will use an insurance-based program that will determine the cost. Technicians work closely with insurance adjusters this will ensure that when filing a claim, it will be covered and paid.
- Comprehensive Restoration– Most restoration companies offer comprehensive services to completely restore your property. Daily monitoring of the dry out will ensure that your structure is dry. If your structure is not completely dry, mold growth may begin.
One of the biggest mistakes homeowners make when deciding to clean up the water damage themselves is underestimating the extent of the water damage. Water tends to travel through cracks and crevices and even saturate solid materials like drywall, wood and all types of flooring. You don’t necessarily need to hire a water damage restoration company to clean up your home, but to ensure that its completely dry and secondary damage won’t happen, it is important to call a local restoration company.
SERVPRO of Northwest Stark County has been in business for over 20 years and has the experience, equipment and trained technicians to help you with your next water loss. Call us today at 330-497-4600.
Fire Damage Restoration - Step 4
Our crews packing up soot damaged items to move to our warehouse for cleaning and restoration.
Step Four: Clean Up & Restoration Services
Step 4: Clean up and Restoration Services is the next blog to our 5 Steps of the Fire Damage Restoration Process. After a fire has damaged your belongings and/or structure it is important to restore your home or business properly and quickly to get back to living and working.
During this step, the fire damage restoration service will begin the clean-up of the fire damage. SERVPRO uses the following cleaning techniques to remove soot and smoke residue from your surfaces:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to wet cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand wet cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if wet cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
If the fire department used water to put out the flames this is also when water damage cleanup and restoration begins. All standing water will be extracted, and air movers and dehumidifiers will then be placed to dry out the structure. After the structure has been monitored for several days and all areas are completely dry then all equipment will be removed, and the areas affected by water will be sanitized. Also, during this stage an air scrubber will be placed to remove any lingering smoke odors.
If the items or structure in these areas have been severely damaged and can’t be restored, then these items will be removed and disposed. All unsalvageable items will be documented by the restoration crews to ensure that the homeowner will be reimbursed.
If the fire damage is severe enough and your home or business requires extensive restoration or cleaning due to fire damage a pack out of contents will be conducted. A move-out will provide several benefits, including:
- A quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage
The contents are moved to an offsite facility, where it will be inspected for damage. A detailed list will be provided to insurance adjusters and items will be cleaned and restored to preloss condition, and then stored until your home or business is ready to move back all items.
Stay tuned for Step Five: Repair and Renovation in our next Fire Restoration Blog.
If you have suffered fire damage in Canton, Ohio located in Stark County, please call SERVPRO of Northwest Stark County. We can help restore your home or business to preloss condition: 330-497-4600.
Grilling Tips for Homeowners in Massillion, Ohio
Everyone enjoys grilling their favorite food and its one of the most popular ways of cooking. Unfortunately, grills can be a fire hazard to a structure and can also cause serious burn injuries.
Here are a few tips to safely grill this summer:
• Grill outside and away from any flammable items.
• Place your grill on stable ground.
• Clean your grill regularly.
• Check for leaks in your propane.
• Don’t let children or pets play around the grill.
• Be careful with charcoal starter fluid.
• Wear appropriate clothing.
• Have a fire extinguisher or water nearby to put out any flare ups or a fire.
If you experience a fire from grilling this summer, please call the experts in fire clean up at SERVPRO of Northwest Stark County at 330-497-4600.
How Weather Conditions Can Cause Firework Damage
Fireworks during a storm.
How can the weather affect your fireworks and create a dangerous situation on the upcoming Fourth of July holiday? If a storm is approaching and causes a severe gust a wind it can affect the direction of the firework and the sparks causing the embers or smoke to be blown towards houses or even the audience that are in the area. This can also increase the risk of fires to buildings and landscaping. It can even cause injuries to people. So, it is important to be aware of the direction of the wind before lighting the fireworks.
Even though Northeast Ohio has had rain recently, you still need to be aware and check the ground to see overly dry and subject to catching on fire. So, when setting up your fireworks display be aware of the condition of the fallout area in order to lessen the risk of a fire igniting.
SERVPRO of Northwest Stark County wishes you and your family a safe Fourth of July. Please check the weather before lighting off your firework display. If you end up with a mishap and have fire damage, please call us 24-hours a day for emergency fire damage restoration. We are a phone call away at 330-497-4600.
Fire Damage Restoration Process - Step 3
Door boarded up after a fire in a home in Canton, Ohio.
Step Three: Board Up and Tarping – Securing the Building
Step 3: Board Up and Tarping – Securing the Building is the next blog to our 5 Steps of the Fire Damage Restoration Process. After a fire has damaged your belongings and/or structure it is important to restore your home or business properly and quickly to get back to living and working.
When your home or business has been damaged by a fire the immediate concern should be temporary protective measures such as placing roof tarps to prevent additional damage, and boarding up to secure the building and remove water and debris. Tarping the roof will prevent secondary damage while the roof is inspected and repaired. SERVPRO of Northwest Stark County provides emergency roof tarp installation to prevent further damage. When disaster strikes, SERVPRO is ready to respond immediately with your board up and roof tarping needs.
Stay tuned for Step Four: Restoration & Cleanup in our next Fire Restoration Blog.
If you have suffered fire damage in Massillon, Ohio located in Stark County, please call SERVPRO of Northwest Stark County. We can help restore your home or business to preloss condition: 330-497-4600.
Flooding Hazards Cause Water Damage
Flooding to a basement in Canton, Ohio.
According to the National Weather Service (NOAA), “Approximately 75% percent of all Presidential disaster declarations are associated with flooding.” NOAA lists the most common flood hazards in the United States as:
- Flash Flooding
- River Flooding
- Storm Surge and Coastal Inundation from Tropical and Non-Tropical Systems
- Burn Scars/Debris Flows (Caused by Wildfires)
- Ice/Debris Jams
- Dry Wash (Caused by heavy rainfall in dry areas)
- Dam Breaks/Levee Failure Just because you haven’t experienced a flood doesn’t mean you won’t in the future.
In fact, 20% of all claims paid by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) were for policies in low-risk communities. On average, floods cost $3.5 billion in annual losses in the United States. When storm damage happens in Canton, Ohio and water damage happens to you, SERVPRO® of Northwest Stark County can help. We can respond to any size disaster to begin the cleanup and restoration process to get you back in your home as soon as possible. We are ready to help make it “Like it never even happened.” Call SERVPRO of Northwest Stark County at 330-497-4600!
Commercial Property Water Damage in Canton, Ohio
Flooding caused water damage to this commercial building in Canton, Ohio.
After your commercial property has been affected by a water disaster from either a severe storm, pipe-break, sprinkler malfunction or flooding you need to call a water damage restoration expert. As a property manager in Canton, Ohio and you found water damage in your do not have experience in water cleanup and restoration work, it is important to contact your local water damage restoration company. SERVPRO of Northwest Stark County can handle the dry-out and tear-out for you. This is because water damage remediation work needs to be handled by professionals that have gone through the training. SERVPRO will make sure your structure is completely dried out, so secondary damage like mold doesn’t begin.
A professional water damage restoration company like SERVPRO of Northwest Stark County has the equipment such as air movers, dehumidifiers, water extraction equipment, moisture meter readers and the training to completely restore your facility to preloss condition. Our team also has the experience to assess severe damage such as mold spores, exposure to fiberglass insulation, and weakened floors that may collapse.
During the dry-out process our crews document the process making sure that your structure is drying properly and completely dry when we remove all drying equipment. This is important if you file a claim the insurance company will need this documentation for it to be covered for the drying our plus and repairs that need to be done. SERVPRO will also take before and after pictures to prove that there was water damage.
Call 330-497-4600 or visit our website https://www.SERVPROnorthweststarkcounty.com/commercial-restoration-services to learn more about commercial water damage clean up and restoration.
Water Damage Caused by Household Appliances in Canton, Ohio
Kitchen water damage due to a dishwasher line break in a Canton, Ohio home.
Most time you think that a water damage to your home will be caused from an outside weather-related storm, but in fact it’s the appliances that are inside your home. Below are 5 most common causes of water damage in your home and tips on how to avoid having them damage to your Canton, Ohio home.
- Your air conditioner removes moisture from the air and sometimes that moisture builds up in the unit. If the air conditioner is not properly drained then water could be slowly leaking into your home. When this water leaks it could damage your drywall and flooring. Along with water damage a slow leak that goes unnoticed can have a possibility to produce mold growth.
- Your dishwasher is another appliance that can cause major water damage to your home. It happens when either the seal or latch is broken or the water line breaks. It needs to be repaired or replaced as soon as possible to avoid the costly water damage repairs to your cabinets, flooring and any rooms underneath the kitchen.
- Washing machines use gallons of water when cleaning your clothes. If your hose isn’t properly draining or your water line breaks you may find severe water damage. Unfortunately, a slow leak can go undetected, so it is important to look underneath and behind your machines to check for any water damage before mold starts to grow.
SERVPRO of Northwest Stark County specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Continuing Education Courses for Insurance Agents in Stark County, Ohio
A recent continuing education class for our local agents and adjusters.
Continuing Education Courses for Insurance Agents and Adjusters
SERVPRO of Northwest Stark County offers continuing education courses for insurance agents, and insurance adjusters. These CE courses will provide you with information to better service your customers. The below classes are taught by our SERVPRO Corporate continuing education specialists are designed to improve the knowledge of your staff regarding emergency fire, water and mold mitigation.
Here are some of the CE courses that are offered by SERVPRO of Northwest Stark County:
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Restorative Drying in the Restoration Industry
- Understanding Mold in the Restoration Industry
- Restorative Drying for Water Damage
- Mitigation Awareness Response Seminar
- Biohazard Cleanup
- Restoring Contaminated Buildings
- Cleaning and Restoring Smoke-Damaged Contents
- Deodorization of Malodors
Are you in need of CE Credit Hours?
If you need of Continuing Education Courses, please contact your local sales marketing manager to find out when and where our next class will be offered. All our classes are free of charge and include drinks and food. We handle all of the paper to the state.
Please contact Laurie Baum at the information below if you have any questions regarding our upcoming CE Classes.